It's incredible how fast kids can move
I was babysitting my brother while my parents went to Miami to get my mom her passport. This was around the time my little brother got pills for A.D.D., and he was having the worst time swallowing one pill by itself and water.
It gets around 8 p.m., and my brother comes down and says he practiced swallowing his pills. He was super proud, and I was terrified. I thought he swallowed the whole bottle or enough to be overdosed. Call my mom up and she’s like okay get him water and try to get him to throw it up.
He probably thought I was crazy for what I tried to get him to do. I learned later he was practicing with candy, specifically Skittles. Just that gut wrenching moment was terrifying to me. (crazyrandomnerd)
A Scary Situation
Once I was babysitting two sisters. The parents were off at a movie, and about 30 minutes after they left, there was a knock at the door.
I got up and looked through the small window in the door to see this dude in a shirt with a Xcel Energy tag and a clipboard. He gives me this talk about checking a gas meter in the basement. I had this instinctual gut feeling that something was wrong and tell him that ‘I’m the babysitter- give me a minute, and I’ll call the parents to see if they forgot to tell me about an appointment.’
So I head to the kitchen to get the phone and call up the mom (I also checked to make sure the backdoor was locked). She starts freaking out and assures me that they didn’t have an account with Xcel and tells me they’re leaving the theater immediately.
I go back to the door and explain that I wont be letting him in. He starts getting pushy with me and telling me that its really important and is a safety issue. I didn’t see any Xcel Energy van or car on the street out front and am beginning to get nervous.
Luckily the parents called a neighbor who showed up and demanded the guy leave the property. The guy ran off and walked around the corner so we didn’t get a vehicle description, but the police came and took my statement as soon as the parents got home. A few days later the parents were telling me that a similar guy had gone to a neighbors and tried to intimidate his was into her house. (Tinya**feet)
This was about 25 years ago.
The family I was sitting for had a microwave that was so old you could turn it on with the door open. They also had a six-year-old, and the kid microwaved his hand. He only did it for 10 seconds to “see how it felt,” but just those 10 seconds put him in the hospital for a week because he literally cooked some of his hand. Scared me, and his parents, who rushed home from dinner to take him to the hospital.
I guess he turned out okay, but I don’t really know; they never had me babysit for them again even though it was not my fault at all (I was busy making the eight-year-old brush his teeth and the six-year-old snuck out of bed and ran into the kitchen). (Kahzgul)